Master's Programme in
Wireless Networks and Electronics
The Wireless Networks and Electronics (WNE) master's programme at Linköping University (LiU) takes a broad view of cutting-edge wireless and mobile communications, covering multiple communication layers, from radio transmission to networking aspects and applications. It is intended for students holding a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Telecommunications, or similar, to provide them with comprehensive knowledge in wireless electronic systems and networks, as well as proficiency in state-of-the-art design and modelling tools.
As a master’s student in WNE you will study courses in wireless networks performance & design, as well as radio systems electronics design. WNE is well-connected with leading industrial R&D collaborators, enabling you to undertake exciting research and training projects with access to state-of-the-art laboratory equipment and even on real wireless and mobile communication networks.
Overview and prospects
WNE is a two-year high level international master’s program corresponding to 120 ECTS offered in English. The core of the program consists of courses within radio electronics system design, and wireless network design and performance, based on a good understanding of modern wireless communication technologies. Studies include emerging communication systems that use the Internet Protocol (IP) as the interconnecting glue, and a stream of courses in this field are also elective within the program.
Within the programme WNE other key areas of studies are developments of radio electronic systems that enable high capacity wireless transmissions, in short as well as long range and different types of networks to optimise the user experience independent of location. By acquiring deep knowledge on functionality and performance of wireless networks and radio frequency (RF) electronics systems, you will be able to explore a wide range of areas within the field of wireless communications.
The WNE programme prepares you for a career in wireless communications, both in the Industry, and the Academia. Alumni of the WNE are working in companies of the field in Sweden and worldwide on the development of wireless communication electronics, wireless network planning, and analysis of wireless networks among others. PhD students holding the WNE degree are conducting world-class research both in LiU and in other universities worldwide.
Areas of Focus
The focus of the WNE programme goes beyond the electronic component level. The starting point is radio frequency (RF) electronics and wireless communications theory. The main objective of the programme is to provide training in fundamental aspects of RF electronics and telecommunications, and to combine the knowledge with a deep understanding of wireless electronic systems design, wireless networks, and network simulation.
The WNE programme is intended for students with a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Telecommunications, or similar, seeking deeper knowledge in wireless electronic systems and networks using state-of-the-art design and modelling tools.
The WNE programme is strongly aimed to foster a multi-disciplinary engineering approach that is required to develop future wireless communication systems. Ranging from electromagnetic propagation and communication electronics system design to wireless network simulation and planning, the scope of the program is broad. After completing the WNE programme, the students have deep knowledge in RF electronics, antenna theory, wireless network engineering and networking, as well as the interplay between these subjects.
The list below illustrates mandatory as well as examples of elective courses in the WNE programme – for more details, please see the LiU Study Handbook (click here).
After the third semester, students are expected to start the Master’s Thesis (30 ECTS) which is the last part of their education. Since WNE is well-connected with leading industrial R&D collaborators, many students have undertaken their Thesis within industrial organizations getting directly valuable experience.
Semester 1: September 2014 - January 2015
Semester 2: January 2015 - May/June 2015
Semester 3: September 2015 - January 2016
Semester 4: January 2016 - May/June 2016
Studying in the WNE at LiU, in SWEDEN
- The WNE programme is located at the Norrköping campus of LiU. The campus offers a unique accommodation guarantee: just a 15-minute walk to both the city-center and the campus. The city is well-connected for international travel – Stockholm Skavsta Airport is only 40 minutes away by bus and serves attractive-fare airlines connecting Norrköping directly to many major European cities.
- The WNE programme provides the required qualification for admission to PhD studies in Sweden as well as the rest of Europe. Note that Sweden is well-known for the benefits to PhD students offering them a competitive full salary (about 3000 Euro/month) with social insurance and employment benefits.
- The WNE students are extremely attractive to the information & communication technologies (ICT) Industry. Last year alone, at least a dozen WNE students have been offered positions at Ericsson.
- There are no admission or tuition fees for students with a European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) country, or Swiss citizenship.
- The WNE program is in English – the de facto second language of Sweden.
Information and Contacts
- For general questions regarding admission, application procedures, enrolment etc., please e-mail: email@example.com
- For WNE specific questions regarding the content of programme etc., please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 2013-09-16